What is the family law and what is a family law attorney?
Family Law refers to the branch of the legal field that deals with the issues that are related to the domestic relationship. So, a family law attorney is an attorney who specialized in family law as opposed to the other branches of the law’s legal field.
There are some of the most common subjects that are covered by the family law that includes:
- Divorce or marriage: It includes the prenuptial agreement, spousal support, property division, and divorce, domestic violence issues. And this may also include the matter that is related to civil union and domestic partnership, claims for reimbursement for marital expenses, and annulment procedures, and also non-marital agreements.
- Issues that involve children: This includes all the issues that are related to children. Such as child custody, child support, child neglect, child abuse, and adoption. Not only this, but this also includes paternity tests and fraud related to the paternity test.
- Other law issues of the family: This includes emancipation, “Power of Attorney,” estate matters, name changes, and inheritance laws.
Now you can see that family law attorneys can practice different types of family law issues under the family law umbrella. Many attorneys practice for the spectrum of the legal matters that are associated with family law as a thin whole.
Even, the attorneys who practice foe the family law also choose further to specialize. For instance, some of the attorneys choose the specialization the child adoption on the other hand some choose for the divorce and other related issues.
How much does the family law attorney cost?
Many factors are determining that what a family law attorney costs, like on the geographical location and the level of the experience and knowledge the attorney has. This amount varies on different factors; on the other hand, a family law attorney takes $250 per hour. Even, it is important to understand the different pricing structures of the attorney that they charge from you and what those legal fees they generally charge and it covers.
Hourly rates are the most common fee structure utilized by the lawyers. Under this fee structure, an attorney charged you on the hour based that he spends on resolving your case. On the other hand, flat fees are an overall amount of charge paid upfront and cover the entirety of all legal representations.
A retainer fee is mostly asked by the lawyers and it is common. It is like the down payment that is added to the hourly fee structure. The client deposits the retainer fee in his attorney’s bank account and the attorney will deduct this fee amount as the services are completed.
Attorney’s fees may also be adjusted based on the representation that he shows you. Some examples of the legal representations are such as:
- This is a simple consultation that you took from the lawyer. That means here he listens to your issues and problems and after that, he will give you some advice to resolve it. (Even some initial consultations are cost-free)
- Limited representation in which the attorney will only handle some aspects of the case. For example, if there is a case of divorce, then the attorney will handle all the situations on its base, but they can’t handle the situation that involves child custody, child support, or visiting matters.
- The full representation means a case that an attorney handles full on his base, from the starting of the case to the ending of the case.
An attorney’s fee will often cover many legal services such as advice, resources, researches, and time, in addition to their representation of you. An attorney who has experience of many years and have a high level of success, he will charge you for an hour for $650, but it is an assurance from them to you that he will complete the case in very less time and also gives you the best result rather than a less experienced attorney.
On the other hand, a newer or less experienced attorney will charge you as less as $50 for an hour, But it may also take them several hours to complete the case. Regardless of experience and rate, the expense also includes according to the hours that an attorney spends on your case.
In addition to this, you can also expect to cover some more expenses that are associated with your case. Here we show you some of these expenses that include:
- Filing fees of the case
- Court reported and expert witness charges if they necessary
- And travel and transportation charges within reason.
So, before hiring an attorney you have to need to discuss with them about all the money-related matters to ensure you on the same page and will not add some more amount when he will show the billing page of all the expenses. And any attorney is indeed willing to openly discuss their fee structure, as well as explains the additional fees and expenses that are not covered in the attorney’s fees.
How long do the family disputes generally last?
As it is previously mentioned, that you have to pay more amount if your family dispute takes plenty of time to resolve. Even if you can expect the more amount than you think before to resolve the family dispute. The time of resolution of the family dispute is depending on the issues that are at hand. It is not important that all the family disputes go to court but some of the family disputes solve outside of the court. But if once the family dispute enters the court that it will add more amount of time to resolving the dispute.
Let us take an example. Suppose a divorce can take 10 months to resolve, on the average. Even, the time of the divorce is increased when any part of the divorce is contested or maybe complicated that takes the divorce procedure for more long time. The cases that involve the divorce or marriage or civil union may take only a few weeks of the attorney’s time. And that time will be for the preparation of the important documents.
Do I need an attorney for help with family law issues?
As we can see, that family law attorneys handle a wide range of issues, and they have knowledge that how to handle the various parts of the case and know that at what stage what step they have to take. Along with this they also know various state and federal family laws. Apart from this, they take their contacts with other agencies and people that involved in common family law legal situations, like the child protective services and others.
So, if you have any family issues that it is important to talk with an experienced and knowledgeable, and well-qualified family law attorney in your area. Because if you hire an experienced family law attorney then he will be beneficial for you, because he will advise you on your best legal course of action, and also represent you in the court if it is necessary.